As promised, I am going to share with you my first workout split program. It's called The Explode Program. This routine will last you for the next 12 weeks and will focus on total body strength while losing fat.
Get ready to have 4 days of intense lifting a week, with 3 days of cardio.
20 RULES OF THUMB before I give you the breakdown:
FOOD & REST
1. Eat a meal within 3 hours before your workout, with at least 15g of protein.
2. Eat a meal within 1.5 hours after your workout, with at least 20g of protein.
3. If you can't eat a meal until later, make sure to eat a protein bar or a protein shake within 45 minutes of your workout's end, and eat a full meal as soon as you can, no later than 3 hours later.
4. Of course get plenty of complex carbohydrates and veggies.
5. Never let yourself feel hungry, never be too full. Ideally you are eating 4 small-medium, balanced meals a day.
6. Schedule your meals and try to eat at the same time everyday.
7. Get 7-9 hours sleep a night now that you can.
8. Drink 2 liters of water a day. Don't be afraid of bloating!
9. Warm-up for 5 minutes of jogging on the treadmill before your workout.
10. Get loose with some dynamic plyometrics if you have to (i.e. push ups, shoulder rotations, hip twists, neck rotations, etc.) for a few minutes.
11. During your workout, aim for 1.5 - 2 minutes rest in between sets.
- Breath out during the exertion phase of the rep. Forcefully. Breathe in during the negative phase.
12. For any exercise that requires you to bend your knees, LOOK STRAIGHT or UP.
13. Stretch for 10 minutes at the end of every workout.
14. If you are going to combine cardio and strength training, always leave the cardio for AFTER the weights, and do it for at least 25 minutes without walking, no matter how slow you have to jog.
15. Don't be afraid to ask for a spot or some form tips from a personal trainer. Form is much more important than weight at this stage.
16. When I say 8 reps, I mean at a weight and intensity that you can barely do a 9th, and could definitely not do a 10th without totally screwing up the form.
17. There is a reason I have chosen an 8 rep range – for optimum for strength building and fat loss if done properly. You have to make sure that your intensity is up, you are choosing the right (heavy) weight, and your breathing is powerful.
18. Concentrate on using the muscle group you are working out on. Make every rep count and do not simply 'follow the motion'.
19. 14-16 sets per lifting session should burn you out and allow you to finish after about an hour. If your timing is slower, you are resting too long.
20. Drink at least a small glass of water for every 20 minutes you spend lifting.
Read, remember and apply.
We will now start with DAY 1, coming up on my next post...