I was already seriously considering buying a juicer so that I could include more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I don’t think many people realize that we’re not eating enough natural foods as we’re so used to eating packaged or processed foods such as bread, rice and tortilla wraps (guilty-as-charged, I love burritos).
So when the opportunity came to try out the Beauty Cleanse juice detox, I was more than ready to get started.
A 3-day or 5-day cleanse will leave you feeling lighter, cleaner, and revitalized as you replace your meals with six (500ml) delicious, organic, freshly cold-pressed juices. This essentially allows your body to heal and renew itself as your digestive system takes a break from any form of overindulgence and unhealthy food choices.
So what’s so special about Beauty Cleanse? Why can’t I just buy a blender and make the juices myself at home?
The answer is the Norwalk Hydraulic Press Juice — also known as The Best Juicer In The World! Unlike your usual home blender or juicer, the Norwalk completely extracts all the essential nutrients, vitamins, enzymes and minerals into your juices using approximately 2 tons of hydraulic pressure. It is also designed to provide oxidation free juice, which means better tasting and longer lasting juices.
Beauty Cleanse is the 1st and only juicing company in Singapore to utilize the Norwalk to produce consistently delicious, high quality juices with clear superiority in the extraction of nutrient content to heal and renew your body one juice at a time.
When you sign up for a 3-day or 5-day cleanse, your juices are prepared the night before delivery day so it stays fresh and nutrient-loaded for the next three days. For the 5-day cleanse, there will be 2 deliveries, one on the day before you start the cleanse, and another on the third day.
Gathered from earth’s richest nutrient-packed produce, their ‘living’ juices are entirely 100% Organic, Raw (Unpasteurized), Vegan & Gluten-Free.
* * * * *
MY JUICE DETOX DIARY
Day 1 on Beauty Cleanse 3-Day Juice Detox
The bottled juices were delivered to my home the day before I started the 3-day juice cleanse. I chose to do it for 3-days instead of 5 because I had never done any kind of detox before and wasn’t sure of what to expect or how my body would react to it. So this shorter trial would be a good introduction.
A 3-day Beauty Cleanse care package came with 18 bottles of juices (6 per day) and a few organic supplements which included a small pack of colosan powder, spirulina, acai berry, milk thistle, green superfood, flaxseed oil and pu-erh tea. The supplements are aimed to provide further support in the cleansing process and maximize the potential benefits you will receive during and after completing the cleanse. However, you may also choose a cleanse plan with or without supplementation.
Beauty Cleanse provides daily email and phone support, so if I had any questions or doubts they’re always there to assist. It’s like having your a personal nutritionist!
Beauty Cleanse juices were carefully designed and formulated by their personal mentor and nutritionist consultant, Cherie Calbom. For more than 20 years, Cherie has been a holistic health educator, juice expert, nutritionist, whole foods chef, best-selling author, and seminar speaker. Known as “The Juice Lady” for her extensive work with juicing, she has taught thousands of people how to live the juicing and raw foods lifestyle.
The first day went by really smoothly. I was excited to try out the different flavors of all 6 juices! The best part was, I didn’t have to do groceries for the next 3 days or think about what meal to prepare next as I had all I needed!
For breakfast each morning, I had 1 tablespoon of Green Superfood mixed with only the second half of my first juice of the day, 1 capsule of acai berry, 1 milk thistle/liver support supplement, 2 capsules of flaxseed oil and 2 tablets of spirulina.
I took the colosan powder on the 2nd day.
Benefits of the supplements
- Colosan will softly oxidise and cleanse your intestines and colon utilising the power oxygen to clear the putrefaction accumulating in your intestines and colon.
- Colosan provides ongoing protection from toxins and encourages nutrient absorption, allowing you to get more out of the food you eat.
When taken with lemon juice or other acidic juice, that oxygen is released inside the digestive tract, producing powerful de-toxifying effects.
- It cleanses the bowel, and may have beneficial anti-fungal or anti-candida, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
- The goal of colon cleansing is to clear the small intestines and colon of impacted material and improve their functions of assimilation, absorption and elimination.
Green Superfood (Organic)
- Beauty Cleanse recommends organic green superfood from Genesis Today GenEssentials™ Greens.
- This product is made with careful selection of quality, organic, and Freeze-dried land and sea vegetables combined with a synergistic blend of herbs, superfruits, enzymes, and probiotics. It has been formulated to help support digestion, detoxification and daily nutrition.
- Genesis Today’s GenEssentials™ Greens™ delivers the phytonutrients of 3-5 servings of dark green leafy vegetables in every serving.
Acai Berry (Organic)
- Acai berries contain the highest known source of antioxidants for increasing metabolism, fatty acids Omega 3,6 & 9, along with loads of essential vitamins and minerals.
- They are also high in fiber low in glycaemic index (GI), meaning that they help keep your blood sugar on an even keel, enabling you to stay energized and focused for longer while controlling appetite and allowing you to achieve weight loss.
- Beauty Cleanse source their acai berry capsules from RioLife Singapore.
Milk thistle (liver support)
- Provide the ultimate combination of herbals, amino acids & food-based nutrients to support liver health & detoxification.
- It is uniquely formulated to support normal liver function and exert a protective effect against substances harmful to the liver.
- Promote bile production, secretion and release
- Help recycle, extend and replenish the power of glutathione – a super antioxidant essential to liver health
- Nutritionally support healthy fat metabolism in the liver
- Beauty Cleanse source this supplement from Nature’s Way Super Thisilyn
Essential Fatty Acids/ Flax Seed Oil (Organic)
- Formulated to contain Omega 3, 6 & 9 fatty acids necessary for increased metabolic rate to burn more calories, oxidation rate, energy levels, weight loss, strengthened immune system, improved brain function, eliminate water retention and clearer skin.
- Spirulina promotes digestive and bowel functions, suppressing bad bacteria like e-coli while stimulating beneficial flora.
- The richness of natural chlorophyll contained helps to clean and detoxify our blood, internal organs, and bowels by aiding the body in processing more oxygen, reducing toxin build-up in the process.
- It strongly promotes optimal blood pressure and the growth and repair of human tissue.
- It is also the richest natural source of beta-carotene, with a full spectrum of ten mixed carotenoids that are powerful antioxidants with anti-cancer and anti-aging compounds, protecting the cells from free radical damage and enhancing the functions of the immune system.
Beauty Cleanse sources their spirulina tablets from AlphaHealth Singapore.
* * * * *
Now that we know exactly what each supplement is good for, let’s start the cleanse!
After drinking a glass of warm lemon water upon waking up, I had my first juice with the supplements.
10.00AM: 1st Juice (Purple blend – Apple, beetroot, celery, ginger, red cabbage)
Thoughts: I picked this one to drink first because the color was the most appealing. I finished half the juice and mixed the other half with 1 flat tablespoon of green superfood. This gave me the energy I needed to start the day.
12.00PM: 2nd Juice (Light green blend – Apple, cucumber, celery, kale, ginger)
Thoughts: This blend was quite light and nutritious. 3 types of excellent vegetables – cucumber, celery and kale in one juice mixed with apple and ginger. GREEN, TASTY and oh-so-GOOD FOR YOU!
1.00PM: Get active! 30 minute light exercise – Speed interval cardio training
Promote the detoxification process with some light exercise such as yoga, swimming, jogging or even massages or spa treatments. Make sure to drink plenty of water especially if you’re going to sweat it out!
Begin by spending 5 minutes jogging, walking, or biking. Then, you’ll stretch. Each stretch should be done for two sets of 30 seconds before moving on to the next one. It is not enough for you to sit in a stretching position and pretend to exert yourself. You have to actually reach, pull, and move with purpose. Prepare your muscles for the work they’re about to perform.
After you’ve gone through the all of the stretches, move to your choice of cardio. Cardio can be done on the treadmill, stairmill, bike, or even outside. It’s up to you. But, no matter which machine you choose for cardio, it’s your job to do the work and keep your heart rate up. You’ll do 5 sets of the circuit. The circuit consists of 2 minutes of jogging and 1 minute of running.
Your final task for the day is to cool down and stretch. When you put your body through a huge amount of stress, you need to help it heal.
Jog, bike, or walk for 5 minutes and then repeat the warm-up stretching series to end the workout while slowing your heart rate back down. Make sure to get enough rest to complete your body’s recovery!
Back to the juice cleanse…
2.00PM: 3rd Juice (Orange blend – Carrots, cucumber, pineapple)
Thoughts: What a sweet and refreshing mix!
3PM: Had a cup of hot green tea.
5.30PM: 4th Juice (Spicy lemonade – Cayenne pepper, honey, lemon)
Thoughts: If you like spicy soups or if you were craving something hot, then the spicy lemonade should help to curb the craving. The cayenne pepper was a little spicy but definitely quite an interesting mix with the honey and lemon!
7.30PM: 5th Juice (Dark green blend – Kale, romaine, celery, cucumber, mint.)
Thoughts: So this is pretty much purely a vegetable juice. If you don’t like eating your greens you might find this a bit hard to drink. Take your time and sip through a straw.
10.00PM: : 6th Juice (Cashew nut milk — Cashew nuts, cinnamon, honey)
Thoughts: The cashew nut milk is my favorite drink out of all the blends. It’s a perfect drink to have before bed. I was surprised I wasn’t feeling super tired or lethargic as I had expected on this juice cleanse. My tummy felt settled and ready to fast until the next morning.
Take small sips of the juice instead of finishing the whole bottle at one go. I set an alarm on my phone for every 2 hours to make sure I drink the next juice on time. When I’m not sipping on juice, I’m drinking warm lemon water or tea.
* * * * *
Day 2 on Beauty Cleanse 3-Day Juice Detox
I did the colon cleanse on Day 2 as I was able to spend the whole day at home. It would probably be a good idea to do this on a weekend when you’re at home or off work because the colon cleanse causes a laxative effect, so you gotta make sure the bathroom is always accessible!
I had to use the bathroom a number of times within the first 2 to 3 hours after taking the colon cleanse but it wasn’t as bad as I had expected. Maybe it helps that I drink lemon water everyday! Lemons are a natural diuretic and helps to naturally cleanse your body.
I changed the order of the juices I drank throughout the day, except for the cashew nut milk (meant to be consumed only before bed). There’s a cheat sheet with a list of things you’re allowed to eat only if you really, really have to.
Although I wasn’t very hungry, my stomach felt quite empty after the colon cleanse and I couldn’t resist a few celery sticks! I also enjoyed a fresh coconut juice in the evening.
* * * * *
Day 3 on Beauty Cleanse 3-Day Juice Detox
I was feeling a little moody and less energetic than usual on Day 3. It didn’t help when I realized that time of the month was coming up too. I listened to some soothing music and did yoga followed by meditation to help relax the mind and body.
I continued to drink lemon water throughout the day and tried the organic Pu-Erh tea in the afternoon. Unique and intriguing, pu-erh is a post-fermented tea which comes from the Yunnan province in China. It is known to aid digestion, weight loss, reduce cholesterol, remove toxins from the body, as well as providing anti-inflammatory effects. A cup of warm tea never ceases to make me feel at ease.
Although my teeth was eager to chomp on some food, I resisted with a handful of almonds instead.
The day was over before I knew it and I finally drank the last bottle of cashew nut milk. Mission accomplished!
I’ve never felt more energized, hydrated, and cleansed. I was so proud of my waistline, the stubborn flab just below the belly-button was diminished. No fatty carbs and drinking a ton of water must’ve helped to flushed out all the toxins. This probably has a lot to do with the glow I saw on my face and skin on the third day.
One of the biggest benefits I found from completing my cleanse was that it motivated me to stay on a healthy path for weeks afterward. Mentally, I was so rejuvenated by the 3 days I spent cleansing that the last thing I wanted to do was throw it all away.
It’s important that you don’t dive straight into packaged or cooked foods after the cleanse! I noticed major side effects such as stomacha pain or mild discomfort whenever I ate something unhealthy like pizza or potato wedges (oops!).
The rule of thumb is that you should have raw foods for the first few days after your cleanse. This will provide your body with vital minerals, vitamins, enzymes, nutrients and more while preparing your digestion system for dealing with cooked food again.
A juice cleanse is a great way to purify and prepare your body if you’re planning to kickstart a new workout program and begin a healthier lifestyle. Have you ever tried a juice cleanse? If you have, what was your experience? If not, is it something you would be willing to try?