No time for the gym? Work out at home!
You may choose to do either 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps for each exercise (rest between 30 to 60 seconds in between sets) OR if you looking to do a bit of cardio, try the HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) method. I use the Gymboss app on my phone to set up the interval timer.
To do the HIIT method, follow the sequence below:
Bulgarian split squats (20 or 30 secs)
Tricep dips (20 or 30 secs)
Squat sidekick (20 or 30 secs)
Plank squat (20 or 30 secs)
Plank twist (20 or 30 secs)
Single arm toe touch (20 or 30 secs)
REST (40 or 60 secs)
Do as many reps as you can for each exercise in either 20 or 30 seconds (depending on your fitness level) and move on to the next. Rest period is either 40 or 60 seconds (if you worked for 20 secs, rest for 40 secs / if you worked for 30 secs, rest for 60). Repeat the sequence for a total of 3 times.
* * * * *
1) Start off with the legs and work on your balance and glutes with the Bulgarian split squat.
The two bottles you see next to chair are my homemade dumbbells! Look for a plastic bottle that comes in an hourglass shape so it’s easy to hold on to. Fill it up with sand, beans or even just water and voila! You got yourself a recyclable 2-pound dumbbell.
2) For the arms and triceps, use a stable dining chair to do tricep dips:
Tricep Dips – Watch the video
3) For hips and legs, bring out the ninja in you with this squat + sidekick combo:
Squat + Sidekick Combo – Watch the video
4) Work up a sweat and engage those abs with this plank to squat move.
*Make sure your hands are directly in line with your shoulder in a plank/push-up position. Brace your core and make sure that your back is flat and your head, neck and spine are in a straight line. Avoid letting your stomach drop or allow your hips to rise up.
5) Move on to the obliques while keeping the heart rate up with this plank twist.
6) Lay down on a mat or towel and fire up those abs with single arm toe touches.